I've got my safety helmet on.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Let's face it, when you have a blog, there is a responsibility to carefully think out what you say about someone else. Once it's out there and has been read by others, there is no taking it back. We can never know another person's situation, but occasionally conduct is so appalling that it is our responsibility TO comment on it, draw attention to it, rather than turn a blind eye and play nice. (This isn't going to be political, in case you're wondering.)

So, one of the LYS is owned by a woman whose behavior has become increasingly rude, to the point that is amazing to me that someone can be so "into" destroying themselves. She clearly feels that she is invincible, and that no matter how badly she acts, people will still shop there. (She's partially right; we'll get there in a minute.) I will be up front with you: I used to work for her, before she laid me off over email right before I was supposed to come into work because she "no longer needed my services" and charged my paycheck for a needle she had lent me to make a store model. I hadn't been impressed with her conduct anyway, which was very two-faced, but that's just my personal feeling on it. (I just wanted to be clear that I'm biased.) Recently I've come in contact again with many people, friends and customers that I knew while working/shopping at this particular LYS. Without fail, they tell me they will never go back, due to something she has said or done to them. We are not talking two or three people. I mean, people CALL ME AT HOME, to tell me how angry they are. I can think of three, just last week, that came in. Whether it was a rude comment ("Your mother is going deaf because you're so loud!") or not returning shop models, these people all feel strongly enough that they would rather shop elsewhere entirely than ever set foot into this place again. If I were reading this, I would be wondering how she stays open. Well, you and me both. Even on her blog, she's openly rude. When a customer emailed her, commenting that her blog contains very little about the shop or knitting (this is the blog FOR THE STORE, now!) the LYSO's response was to post the email, berate the woman and tell her that she can go somewhere to 'bitch and moan" (the original email's tone was not rude at all.) AND ASK OTHER PEOPLE TO EMAIL HER ALSO AND TELL HER OFF! I, of course, emailed her and said I was sorry she was treated so rudely. I know I would hate to get such hate directed toward me because I made a suggestion about improving another person's business! The bottom line is, no matter what special brands she gets, or what awesome sales she has, she will run herself into the ground. As much as I like to support small businesses, it is not a "get out of jail free" card for bad behavior and rudeness. On the plus side, the several LYSes that are staffed by nice and helpful people are no doubt enjoying the influx of customers that are finding new perches. So there is a good side to all this. (I, for one, will be there for her closing sale, to cart away loads of stuff at 50 and 75% off!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You only speak the truth, my dear. Here, here.

alltangledup said...

it's good that we can all vote with our feet and wallets. No point in patronising someone as awful as that. It's surprising though as bricks and mortar shops have to work so much harder these days.

Lisa said...

I hope I never run into this store owner. She sounds like a real piece of work. I wish I knew what store she owned, so I could avoid it if I visit the area!

Anonymous said...

Huh, that's funny. I always thought you were completely unfriendly whenever I visited the store in question while she went out of her way to help me, and one time I even ran into you in public and said I knew you from there - and you still wouldn't talk to me. I didn't take it personally, but...?

I guess it's okay to hurt someone's feelings if you think you are justified. Right?

Bronwyn said...

I'm curious who anonymous would be, though I can hazard a guess - as to being unfriendly, I was never so intentionally. I don't think it's acceptable, but I do wish customers would just say something if they don't feel as though they're being given your full attention - often we don't realize we're being rude. As to running into me again - I never said I was the world's friendliest person. But I wouldn't talk to you? I find that hard to believe. Either you are a close friend of hers (to whom I probably wouldn't be overly bubbly towards, because I don't want to say something mean about her to her FRIEND) or I could not actually remember you and didn't want to be obvious about it. (which happens a lot. I'd rather say "hey.. you!" than call you Jan when you name is Marsha.)